NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC) – The Bahamas government says it is considering allowing business trips to the archipelago on or before July 1, but insisted the date was not final and would depend on the current state of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) here.
The Bahamas has so far recorded 96 positive cases of the virus detected in China last December and related to the deaths of more than 300,000 people and the infection of 4.5 million others worldwide.
The Bahamas has reported 11 deaths, but over the past four days the island chain has not recorded any new cases of the virus.
On a radio and television broadcast Sunday night, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis said that as the country continues to advance in its efforts to curb the spread of the virus, it would act on the advice of health officials to reopen several islands and certain areas of our economy, as well as a new normality for daily life that will be with us for some time.
“We must comply with regional and global health protocols as we reopen our economy and society,” he said, reiterating that “if health officials advise us, we will return to certain phases or re-impose certain restrictions to limit the spread of community “.
“I fully understand the anxiety and frustration of many Bahamas and residents to reopen our economy. But we must act with prudence and good judgment. We must balance the health, economic and social needs of citizens and residents.
“As you know, we are still in phase 1B of the national reopening plan, but we have started to introduce phase 2 components as the country moves fully into the second phase of the plan,” he said, adding that in as of yesterday, Cat Island, Long Island, Abaco and Andros will be able to resume commercial activity.
“Allow me to emphasize again, on all the family islands that can resume commercial activity, that the curfews during the week and the closing measures of the weekend are still in force, as well as the measures of physical distance and the requirement to wear masks “.
Minnis said the Bahamas are “eager to see how our economy fully opens up to travel to the Bahamas and welcome visitors to our shores.”
He said his administration “is very advanced in our planning for the start of the reopening of our tourism sector and to allow travel in and out of the Bahamas.
“Our resorts, our airports and our seaports are finalizing the safety and health protocols that we will need to provide a reopening. Given what is being done in the region and around the world, these extensive guidelines will be designed to provide reasonable assurance that travel and leisure are generally safe. Any such reopening to commercial-scale traffic will also depend on the continued stabilization of the COVID-19 outbreak in the Bahamas.
“At the moment, we are studying a possible date for the opening of commercial trips on the 1st or before today. These dates may vary depending on the circumstances. I want to reiterate, however, that this date is not final, “Minnis said, adding:” It will adjust if we see a deterioration in COVID-19 infection trends or if we determine that protocols and procedures are not in place. instead. enough to justify an opening. Our openness will depend on your collaboration. “
He said the Government is also about to begin a gradual reopening of inter-island travel and that the Ministry of Health has developed a policy and protocol for the approval and monitoring of people traveling to islands who have resumed l normal business activity.
Minnis said individuals could start applying as of Wednesday and, once the trip is authorized, each traveler will need to present the COVID-19 Travel 22 authorization card to the appropriate ticket agent.
You can now read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available at home or at work and is the same edition as the hard copy available at https://bit.ly/epaper-login